English for Academic Purposes
The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program at WASS is for students who are not yet proficient or who do not yet meet the English requirements to enter the international or bilingual classes at the Western Australian International School System.
Built on the English as Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) program, the EAP program is designed to gradually improve students’ English proficiency so that they can join one of the other two programs.
The course is intensive in nature and requires a lot of work on the students’ part to help students develop the necessary skills in language required for academic success in college or university.
The subject areas of the program are developed around essential language skills such as listening, writing, speaking, reading, grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary.
WASS students become independent individuals who are fully equipped with the skills necessary to contribute to society. They become capable of communicating with and respecting the cultures of the nations, working towards good common interests, and being responsible members of the community.
The program is structured into 3 subjects:
- Core: developing skills such as grammar, reading, and writing.
- Listening and Speaking skills.
- Applied: Students will use the content learned to apply to specific activities including making videos, presenting, composing, writing reports, assessing, and commenting.
YEAR 10 TO YEAR 12
- The EAP classes focus on IELTS preparation, in which students will learn about all sections of the IELTS test, and practice skills and techniques they need to perform their best on the test date.
- The lessons cover both examination skills and techniques and work on improving all aspects of the student’s English: speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary.
Graduates of the Integrated Bilingual Program will receive a high school diploma from the Ministry of Education of Vietnam and an English proficiency certificate (TOEFL or IELTS).