International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme – Certified Program (IBDP)
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme – Certified Program (IBDP) is an internationally recognized curriculum, designed for high school students between the ages of 16 and 19 years that aims to foster internationally-minded and well-rounded students.
The IBDP curriculum is the best preparation for those who are moving onto further education as it produces young adults with a broad academic base, inquiring minds and diverse social interests. It is respected by leading universities across the globe.
The IBDP Curriculum model consists of six subject groups and a core programme.
IB Diploma students are required to study six subjects chosen from the six subject groups concurrently for two years. A student has to take at least one subject from each group except for group six (arts and electives), which allows the option of taking another subject from group 4.
At least three (no more than four) subjects are taken at higher level (240 teaching hours), while the other subjects are taken at standard level (150 teaching hours). The choice of SL and HL courses is based on students’ interests, strengths, and future plans.
Subjects offering at WASS
Over the course of the two-year IB Diploma Programme, students study six subjects chosen from the five subject groups, complete an Extended Essay, follow a Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course, and participate in Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS).
(Group 1) Studies in Language and Literature
- English A: Language and Literature – Higher Level (HL)
- English A: Language and Literature – Standard Level (SL)
- Vietnamese A: Language and Literature – Higher Level (HL)
- Vietnamese A: Language and Literature – Standard Level (SL)
(Group 2) Language Acquisition
- English B – Standard Level (SL)
- English B – Higher Level (HL)
- French ab initio – Standard Level (SL)
(Group 3) Individuals and Societies
- Business Management – Higher Level (HL)
- Business Management – Standard Level (SL)
(Group 4) Experimental Sciences
- Biology – Higher Level (HL)
- Biology – Standard Level (SL)
- Chemistry – Higher Level (HL)
- Chemistry – Standard Level (SL)
(Group 5) Mathematics
- Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation – Higher Level (HL)
- Mathematics: Applications and Interpretations – Standard Level (SL)
(Group 6) Arts
- Not offered
Each IB subject is assessed on a scale of 1 – 7 with a score of 4 considered a “passing grade”. This score is calculated based on a combination of internal and external assessments throughout the Year 11 – 12.
Each subject is graded from 1 – 7 and the combination of TOK and the Extended Essay can contribute up to 3 points to the Diploma. A student can be awarded up to 45 points.
WASS students have other options for their diploma pathways. Students can choose the Western Australian Curriculum – Partial Integrated Program and study EAP (English for Academic Purposes) to receive the Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training’s high school diploma and take the English proficiency exams. Alternatively, for the Diploma pathways, they can also choose the Western Australian Certificate of Education International – Accredited Program (WACE International) or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme – Certified Program (IBDP).