Creating a culture of integrity in the classroom
Honesty and integrity are important to having in your academic and professional life. In school, good student-teacher relationships come from mutual respect and trust. Therfore, learn how to make honesty and integrity in the classroom.
How to Show Integrity
Gain a reputation for being honest by showing integrity in the classroom. Here are ways to put your honesty into action:
- Ask your teacher to explain honesty policies specific to his or her classroom.
- Prepare thoroughly for assignments and exams so you are not tempted to cheat.
- Do not let other students copy from your exams and do not lend any papers or assignments that you have completed to other students.
- Report incidents of academic dishonesty to your teacher
4 Ways to Increase Student Integrity
- Infuse integrity into the classroom culture.
Teachers make integrity the norm in their classrooms in several important ways. They clearly articulate expectations about academic integrity and the consequences of cheating.
- Develop a moral vocabulary.
According to the International Center for Academic Integrity (ICAI), the five fundamental values of academic integrity are:
Incorporate the teaching of these five values into the curriculum and help students use the vocabulary to discuss a variety of topics and current events.
- Respond appropriately when cheating occurs.
While teachers cannot control student behavior, they can respond with consistency when enforcing school and classroom policies. Listen and show respect for their thinking, and then restate your expectations that dishonesty is never acceptable in your classroom.
- Help students believe in themselves.
Teachers can helped students believe in themselves through their:
- Passion for teaching and giving back to the next generation
- Modeling a clear set of values and acting in ways that supported those values
- Commitment to giving freely of their time and talents
- Ability to overcome obstacles and show students that success is possible.
WESTERN AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
If you have any concerns, please contact us.